A collection of best practices, guides, and tip sheets for collaboration
We will be collecting and creating more best practices, guides and tip sheets in 2019. If you have one to share, let us know! Email email@example.com.
Collaborative data journalism guide from ProPublica
Overview: Working Together Better: Our Guide to Collaborative Data Journalism
We’ve learned a lot about how to make large-scale collaborations around datasets work, and today we’re giving away all of our secrets. – Rachel Glickhouse
- Introduction: What Is Collaborative Data Journalism, and Why Would We Want to Do It?
- Part 1: How to Run a Collaborative Data Project
- Part 2: Assembling the Partnerships
- Part 3: Launching the Project
- Part 4: Maintenance
- Part 5: Winding Down the Project
Collaborative journalism partnership agreements, MOUs, contracts
- From Reveal from the Center for Investigative Reporting, a template for an MOU centered around story collaboration.
- From Solutions Journalism Network, an example of an MOU for a multinewsroom collaborative.
- From WNYC, a sample term sheet for a collaboration.
- From American University/WAMU, an example of the MOU from their Guns & America project.
- From Twin Cities Public Television, a template for a broadcast project with joint copyright.
- From Your Voice Ohio, an example of an MOU.
Collaborative journalism playbook
At the 2018 Collaborative Journalism Summit, the Solutions Journalism Network previewed its new “Collaborative Playbook” based off its work on the The ReEntry Project. The playbook is a great high-level look at setting up a collaborative.
Collaborative journalism workbook
Also at the 2018 Collaborative Journalism Summit, Heather Bryant of Project Facet unveiled a workbook for collaborative projects. This workbook will help you get in the weeds and think through practical considerations for your project.
Tip sheets for collaborative journalism
The tip sheets below are pulled from Sarah Stonbely’s seminal report, “Comparing Models of Collaborative Journalism,” and should provide useful advice and best-practices for each of the six collaborative journalism models studied in the report.